Monday, February 9, 2009

Going it Alone (kinda)

This weekend W was busy (imagine that) and she couldn't fit in a hike. Luckily, we work somewhere, that convincing other people to hike with you isn't a problem. Friday it poured buckets in Berkeley and most of the Bay Area, so Derike, one of the other trainers at work suggested we go on a waterfall hike. I convinced Emily and Michael two other Clif/Luna folks to join us and we met up at work to carpool Sunday morning.







The hike ended up starting at the dam by Cataract Loop, the same area that our first group hike for BCF was staged. This time the waterfalls were awesome, and the hike was a lot easier without a 20 pound pack. I know we are supposed to do our training hikes with packs but once in awhile it is fun to just go out and enjoy the scenery. This hike has an estimated 25 falls, and there were a crazy number of people on it. Everyone was very friendly and happy to be out enjoying MT Tam.



We made it to a clearing, with a bathroom, that Emily was super excited for, she had had Peets prior to us meeting up and had been looking for a secluded area to do her business. I had almost convinced her there was a sheltered area about 5 minutes from that clearing, but Derike knew about the bathrooms a head and let her know she could hold it for a little longer. The bathrooms were completely pitch dark, which makes the whole situation a little disorienting, but relieved, we had to make the decision to turn around or go forward for 20 more minutes.

Forward was the decision and we followed the trail up to the left, back into the hills and by a small stream. The whole hike we kept running into dogs and checking them out, talking to the owners. Up the hill Michael spotted a small Boston Terrier. Not an amazing fact, except that the dog was Theo!!



Theo belongs to Shauna, one of the Sustainability folks at Clif. Who would have guessed we would have run into someone we knew at Mt Tam. I guess that's what working at Clif/Luna does to you. We hiked with Shauna, Theo, Shauna's husband Louis and one of his friends.

At a bend in the road and after showing them one of the bigger falls we went back on our way to the car.

The hike ended up being pretty dry, because of all of the tree cover and it was great, spending time out of the office with folks. I did miss Wendy and the antics that we end up in when we are out together, but I am sure she'll be along for the next one.

Flash to Monday. 2pm

That is terminator time for Wendy and I.

I went to my desk to look for my i-pod and when I got back I saw Wendy talking to Steph, dressed in her street clothes. I got on one of the ellipticals and started warming up. 5 minutes later Stephanie informs me that Wendy will not be joining me that afternoon. She told me to get on the stairclimber and prepare for the worst. 10 minutes on the machine and I was ready for the session to be over, but I had 50 minutes left. Lunges, jumping, running while hooked to a harness, leg presses, were all on the agenda that day. I had had a burrito which might be a good idea after a session but prior, it was a bad, bad choice.

Cursing Wendy in my mind I got through the hour, a little sweaty and a little tired, but feeling like I had accomplished something.

Final thoughts, Wendy get yourself better, take some airborne, and come out to play. I miss you! And I need someone to distract Steph :)

No comments:

Post a Comment