Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dipsea Stairs to Muirwoods, This One's for you Gil


This Saturday we had another group hike with Cat our Breast Cancer Fund training leader and some of the others in the Bay Area training group.

Wendy is still sick.

That made the anticipation of this hike harder for me than I thought. With Wendy I have a carpool buddy. I have someone that knows me helping me get through the hiking. For me the climb was something I wanted to do for myself and the people I know and don't know who have been affected by breast cancer. But after spending so much time training with Wendy, it's now something I want to be able to have someone share in the experience, every mentally and physically draining portion of it. So this Saturday was hard. We have a great group of people we hike with, but I am still forming bonds with them and its simply not the same, at least not yet.

I found the Dipsea Steps in Mill Valley with no problem thanks to Google maps. (I am also horrible with directions so not having a co-pilot was a little sketchy.) I grabbed my pack, weighed down with what I thought was 25lbs of rice, sugar, books and sweatshirts (more on that later), put on my green windbreaker and headed up to where the group was meeting.

I received a greeting of a hug and a smile from Cat, Connie, Alice and some of the others in the group and a fantastic hello from Gil. Everyone asked about Wendy, and they were all disappointed and concerned to hear she wouldn't be making it. No one was more disappointed then Gil, I think his attachment to her rivals mine.

We started off climbing the 650 plus Dipsea steps and were on our way on the loop. I was toward the middle of the pack, my shoe was untied and I fell towards the back, my pack seemed heavy, I was tired, sweaty thirsty and ready for our first break, we made it off the road to where our next trail was starting. I chatted with some of the folks in our group, Amy a new addition from Cal, and Laura a veteran of the climb who recently came back from Mexico, while eating an apple and some cheese. I knew I needed to snap out of whatever mind set I had fallen into. It was way to early to have hit a wall. Gil came up and asked how I was doing and what the "Terminator" was making Wendy and I do.

As we chatted it was time to start hiking again, and that's when the most simple thing occurred. Gil told me, "You are going to stay behind me Abby, this whole leg." And I said, "Ok Gil". This portion of the climb was the up hill to the back of the Muir Woods. Gil was right behind Alice who was right behind Cat, the leader of the pack. I followed Alice's bell and Gil's orange shirt keeping pace with them the whole time. Gil telling me about his olive trees as we went and asking about my training with Wendy.

Gil calls us the Moon Girls, since we both work at Clif/Luna. The first time we met he asked us why the bar is named Luna and I don't think we have given him the correct answer yet. Gil loves the Luna Moons, I think pomegranate is his favorite but don't quote me on that. Gil told me Wendy and I were like salt and pepper, carrots and celery, peanut butter and jelly (ok not that far) but he did say the first two, basically we go together. Gil is 62 and from Davis. Gil got me through that portion of the hike, as we got to our next rest stop, I told him, "I did what you told me, I'm right behind you." I got a high five.

We stopped on a green crest, with a view of the ocean. The sun was shining and it felt nice to lay back and relax for a few minutes. During our break Gil was clutch again, offering me a piece of his Almond Joy, (which I only took for the great energy almonds are, not the chocolaty coconut goodness :)). We were off again, and this time it was easier to stick with Gil and the two others in the front.

The down hills in the mud were a little sticky but the rest of the hike was a breeze (Well maybe not a breeze) I had turned the corner and I was good to go. Reaching Muirwods was one of the more interesting experiences. It is gorgeous and full of tourists, none of who carry packs, needless to say we stuck out like a sore thumb, which did make for good conversation, and a time to spotlight the breast cancer fund.



We finished before the rain came a mixture of being beat and rejuvenated by the whole experience. Connie picked up my pack, turns out sometimes my math is not the best, and I had over packed my pack, by A LOT, whoops. No wonder I was pooped but really proud at what I had done.

The first hike, I was in the middle of the pack and I was ok with that, it felt natural. Other than the first leg of this hike, I was up in the front, keeping pace with the folks I felt were at a near running pace. I guess all the training has been paying off. But I do hand a lot of it to Gil. He really is a great guy, and like so many of the other climbers I feel blessed to have met him. His smile is a comfort and what girl doesn't like a guy who will give her free chocolate?

As I was heading towards my car I heard Gil call me name. I forgot, along the hike he told me he had something for Wendy and I. We walked to Alice's car, (who happens to be his sister-in-law) and he handed off the goods. I haven't given them to Wendy yet, so you'll have to wait to find out what it was. Thanks Gil for everything. See you at the next hike. I am sure both the Moon Girls will be there.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment